Click the dropdown arrow to view either Portland or Nehalem Bay conditions
Click any of the display tabs to toggle the Weather, Wind or Rain information
Willamette River near OMSI
River forecast data provided by NOAA (NWS ID #PRTO3)
- Action Stage: 17'
- Flood Stage: 18'
- Moderate Flood Stage: 24'
- Major Flood Stage: 28'
- Mean Flow: 32,000 cfs
- Max Flow: 91,000 cfs (1990)
- Min Flow: 12,300 cfs (1977)
River temperature data provided by USGS (Willamette River at Morrison Bridge, 14211720)
Nehalem Bay (near Foss)
River forecast data provided by NOAA & USGS (NWS ID #FSS03)
- Action Stage: 13' Flood Stage: 15'
- Moderate Flood Stage: 20'
- Major Flood Stage: 24'
- Mean Flow: 1,800 cfs
- Max Flow: 6,000 cfs (1940)
- Min Flow: 555 cfs (2005)
We paddle through the entire year, rain or shine
However, sometime, the conditions are beyond our control...
Adverse Air Temperature Safety Consideration:
- Air temperature below 40 F is reason to seriously consider cancellation of on-water activity in club owned equipment.
Adverse Wind Speed Safety Considerations:
- At wind speed above 30 miles per hour all on-water activity in club owned equipment is canceled.
- Wind speed above 20 miles per hour is reason to seriously consider cancellation of activity.
Adverse Water Flow or Speed Safety Considerations:
- At a rate of flow at or above 4 feet per second all on-water activity in club owned equipment is canceled.
- A rate of flow at or above 3 feet per second is reason to seriously consider cancellation of activity.
Adverse Water Temperature and Lightning Safety Considerations:
- Water temperature below 40 degrees F is reason to seriously consider cancellation of activity.
- Lightning in the area or on the horizon is reason to cancel activities. No boats should go out for 30 mins after last sighting and, if already on the water, make haste to return to the dock.
Adverse Air Quality Safety Considerations:
- An Air Quality Index above 150, considered unhealthy, is cause for cancellation of activity.
Small Boat, OC1/OC2's Weather Guidelines
Wasabi maintains small boats for use by club members after their completion of OC certification and huli testing. Individuals using small boats are likely to be directly affected by adverse weather conditions including cold air and water temperatures, high wind, and high flow rates. Wasabi has general weather guidelines in place for OC6/12s and dragon boats. Small boat users must abide by those guidelines and additional guidelines listed for OC1/2 use.
Personal Floatation Devices (PFD) Policy Statement
At all times of the year, regardless of water temperature, all participants using Wasabi owned equipment (paddlers, steerspersons, coaches, callers, guests, etc.) shall wear an approved Coast Guard type I, II, III or V PFD.
All non-swimmers will wear an inherently buoyant (not hybrid or not belt type) PFD when paddling on club equipment.
All visually impaired paddlers will wear an inherently buoyant or hybrid (not belt type) PFD when paddling on club equipment.
All Steerspersons (when steering) will wear an inherently buoyant or hybrid (not belt type) approved PFD.
All paddlers using an inherently buoyant or hybrid PFD shall demonstrate to a coach or other designated official that they can properly adjust and “fit” the PFD.
All paddlers using an inflatable Belt Style PFD, regardless of type, will demonstrate the ability to inflate the PFD and fit it over their head to a coach or other designated club official.
All PFDs shall be worn in accordance with the manufacturers labels and instructions.
At race venues this PFD policy is suspended in favor of the prevailing race event PFD policy or requirements.
Overview: Rearming & Repacking an Inflatable PFD
Chase Boat Steers
Dragon Boat Steers
Outrigger Capsize (Huli)
Recovery basics - Ke Kai O'Uhane & PNWORCA
OC1 Capsize (Huli)
Dragon Boat Capsize
Cold Water Imersion Facts
Willamette River Rules for Boat Operation
Hawthorne Bridge Upstream to Willamette Falls
River Rules Safety Video
- Wasabi policy and procedure for reporting incidents and infractions within the Hawthorne Bridge to Waverly Marina pass through zone.